Wednesday 24 January 2018

[40K - Imperial Guard] 15th Hyrkan - Ministorum Priest


Nostalgia is funny thing.

Those rose-coloured glasses one uses to look at the past are definitely not a prescription pair. I originally started collecting Warhammer 40,000 back in the final days of Rogue Trader and as a result my formative years were spent painting 2nd Edition lead (and then white metal) miniatures. If asked to name some of my favourite models, I'd probably reel off a list from the early to mid nineties based on hazy memories. 

Lead poisoning isn't that bad right?
It's only when it comes to actually going back and painting said miniatures that you realise that you need to throw that pair of rose-coloured glasses in the rubbish.

Crisp details, three dimensional poses, clearly defined edges?

Forget it. It's one-piece, hard to paint, arbitrarily define your own details heaven.




Such was the case with the preacher. Don't get me wrong, I love the model and it's nowhere near as bad as some from the time, but I've been spoilt by multi-part plastic kits. 



It's funny, I don't even have a place in my Guard list for a Ministorum Priest, but when I saw the mini in my bits box - nestled between a metal Daemon Prince with sharp edges that can cause trauma wounds and the sorry half of Ghazghkull Mag Thraka - I knew I had to have a crack. 


Lazy Cadians, always lying down on the job. No wonder they lost their planet.

Plus, and let's be honest, who doesn't love a psychotic Imperial preacher with a chainsword?

Anyone?

I didn't think so. 

-Ran

2 comments:

  1. Great job, he looks superb adn so determined...And, once again, lovely base, it adds a lot imho...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil! I think it's a pretty good sculpt for a miniature done in the late nineties.

    ReplyDelete